This role-playing game is one of the best games and is widely played by gamers. Until now, there have been many Fallouts versions but Fallout 3 is still a favourite. That is why so many gamers play Fallouts 3 nowadays. Because Fallout 3 was released in 2008, this game is often not compatible with the current OS, including Windows 7, 8, 8.1 even 10. Therefore, many people keep asking how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10.
Fallout 3 can be played on Windows 10 as long as it uses certain methods. The reason is Fallout 3 is a classic game that has not been integrated with the latest Windows, including Windows 10. Meanwhile, users that have installed and launched Fallout 3 on Windows 10 have found various problems. The problem is such as the game will hang or quit unexpectedly right after they want to start to play.
How to Play/Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10
The problem of standard differences is not something easy between Fallout 3 and Windows 10. Therefore, there are several ways have been found to still be able to play Fallout on Windows 10 without crashes. Here is what you can do to run your favorite game ever:
1. You Can Run Fallout 3 as an Administrator
If you have problems when playing a game on Windows 3, you can resolve it by running as administrative privileges. This includes if you have difficulty running Fallout 3 on Windows 10. Every time you run a Fallout 3 on Windows 10, make sure that Windows runs with administrative permission enabled.
Here is the first way you can try to play Fallout 3 in Windows 10:
- In your Steam folder, you have to look for the Fallout 3 folder, and click it immediately if you find it. This is for the example of the default location of your Fallout 3 folder: Fallout 3: X: \ ProgramFiles (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Fallout 3 goty or it could be: X: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Fallout 3. You can change the X with your hard drive partition on your computer after you install Windows 10.
- Afterward, you can double click on File EXE for Fallout 3 and click on Properties in resulting context menu.
- Choose the Settings tab and you can check on the box that written Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply, then click OK, and you can launch the Fallout 3. Make sure you have checked that the entire problem is solved.
This is the first way to solve your problem and now know how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without crashes. You can enjoy playing it without being worried that your game will crash anymore.
Also Read: How To Connect My Wii Remote To PC Or Laptop, Windows 10
2. Run Fallout 3 in Compatibility Mode
Users who want to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 often encounter compatibility issue. This is because Fallout 3 came out in 2008, where the technology is not compatible when using Windows 10. Fallout 3 on Windows 10 will suddenly hang or may not run at all. Take it easy, if you still want to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10, you can use Compatibility Mode.
To run Fallout 3 in Compatibility Mode is so easy, you only need to:
- Look for your Fallout 3 folder within your Steam folder and usually, the default location of the Fallout 3 Folder is X:\Program Files\(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty. Or you the Default location of Fallout 3 Folder can be X:\Program Files\(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3. X is the letter that corresponds to the hard drive partition of your computer on which Windows is installed.
- If you see the .EXE file, do the right-click and choose Properties resulting context menu.
- Afterward, you have to navigate to the Compatibility tab and check the checkbox in the Run this program in compatibility mode for, and then choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Click Apply and click OK and now you can try to launch your Fallout 3 on Windows 10.
Then, now you know how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without crashes by running in Compatibility Mode. But if your computer will not work by choosing Service Pack 3, you can choose Service Pack 2. If Service Pack 2 does not work either, you can choose Service Pack 1 or Windows 7.
Also Read: How to Change DHCP Lease Time In Windows 10
3. Download and Install The Games for Windows Live Application On Your Computer
If you are keeping asking how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without problems, now you can try the third effort. Usually, you need to install the Windows Live Application to run some games on Windows. Moreover, this step is so easy to try. Here is what you can do to run Fallout 3 on Windows 10:
- Go download the installer for Games for Windows Live and wait until it is fully downloaded.
- If you are done with the first step, continue to the second step by navigating the directory you have saved in. Double-click the directory to launch it and follow the installation instructions. In the end, The Games for Windows Live is successfully downloaded on your computer and then you can launch it.
- The application you just downloaded will download all the files of your game and automatically run on your computer.
- When it is done, close The Game for Windows Live and you can try to launch it for the second time to make sure the application is run properly.
By this answer, hope you are not curious anymore on how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10. Try to follow the steps carefully so that nothing is missed and you can play your favorite game.
4. Edit The falloutprefs.ini File
If the three ways above have not been able to solve the problem you have, maybe you can try this fourth way. The third way to know how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 is by editing the Fallout 3 configuration file, falloutprefs.ini. Follow the steps below to edit the falloutprefs.ini file:
- Choose the section: My Documents \ My Games \ Fallout 3 and looking for the file titled falloutprefs.ini.
- Open up the file by double-clicking and now you can see the file looks like Notepad.
- Look for “bUseThreadedAl = 0” on all the files and you can add “bUseThreadedAl = 0” in the newest row on the files.
- In the newest row on falloutprefs.ini file, you can type iNumHWTreads = 2.
- Press Ctrl + S to save the changes you have done in falloutprefs.ini file. Afterward, you can close the Notepad.
- Run Fallout 3 and check whether the changes you made successfully complete the work.
Also Read: How To Put Programs To Sleep Mode In Windows 10
If you have done this way but Fallout 3 still do not work or keeps crashing, you can come back to falloutprefs.ini. Replace iNumHWThreads = 2 with the same word but the number changes it into 1 then save it, and now, you can launch it again and check whether your problem is solved successfully.
The explanation above is the solutions of how to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10. You can try them one by one carefully and make sure every step is not missed. If the main problem is on your computer, you can also try to install the software, such as Reimage Plus. This software can scan repositories and replace damaged and lost file.
How To Turn Off Touch Screen On Lenovo Windows 10?
How To Activate Backlit Keyboard Light On My Lenovo Laptop?
How to install NetBeans IDE on Windows 10
How To Get Rid Of Search Bar At Top Of Screen Windows 10?
How Do I Disable The Integrated Graphics In Windows 10?
How To Enable Intel Turbo Boost Technology In Windows 10
How Can I Play Fallout 3 in Windows 10
How To Connect My Wii Remote To PC Or Laptop, Windows 10
How to Change DHCP Lease Time In Windows 10
How To Put Programs To Sleep Mode In Windows 10?
How to Play MOV Video Files in Windows 10
Windows 11 vs. Windows 10: Should you upgrade?